Brushing your hair is one of the most basic and important techniques for styling hair. This hair care method requires one simple tool – a hair brush. Brushing is beneficial for overall hair health because it can promote hair growth by improving blood circulation to the scalp. It also helps in the distribution of the hair’s natural oils from the scalp to the tips. With the right brush and proper brushing technique, you should be able to keep your hair healthy and shiny for longer.
However, few people realise that their brushing habits are causing more damage than good to their locks. Read on below to get more insights into the right way of brushing for maximum results and lesser damage.
Frequency of Brushing
Another important hair care tip by experts when it comes to brushing is to keep your brushing at a minimum. Excessive brushing can cause damage to the hair cuticle, which leads to split-ends. In addition, too much brushing can make your hair look frizzy and lifeless because it strips away natural moisture.
Quality vs Quantity
The myth on 100 brush strokes is totally busted! The amount of strokes needed for styling your hair will depend on the thickness and texture of hair, but 10-20 strokes at one time is sufficient, on average. Make sure to detangle any knots on the tip of the hair before you can sweep it with a brush from root to tip.
Choosing Your Brush
The right hair brush is the most critical piece of investment in your hair care kit. Ideally, you need to go for a boar bristle brush, especially for those with fine hair. But if you have a coarse and thick hair, the best type of brush for your hair are those that come with a blend of natural and synthetic fibers for added strength.
On Brushing Wet Hair
Hair experts advise against brushing your hair when wet. When hair is wet, it lacks elasticity and makes it more prone to breakage. Using a brush on wet hair therefore makes it highly vulnerable. Instead, apply a leave-in conditioner to your hair and use a wide tooth comb instead of a regular bristle brush.
Additional Hair Brushing Tips
To get more useful tips regarding hair brushing, here are some of those to keep in mind:
- Before brushing, massage your hair gently using your fingers.
- If you have a particularly coarse hair, you can use products such as leave-in conditioner before brushing to make it easier to detangle the strands and to facilitate smooth brushing.
- Use a hair pick or other similar tools to divide your hair into sections. Work at every section when brushing your hair to minimise strain and achieve a more shiny result. You can divide it to as many sections as you like, or depending on the length and thickness of hair.
- Avoid using a brush that is too thick or stiff as they can lead to hair damage. Go for flexible brushes as they are milder on your strands.
- When in doubt, go for a wide bristled-brush. They are suitable for all hair types.
- Make sure to clean your brush every day. Build up of oil and dirt on the brush can be deposited back to your hair upon brushing, which exposes it to more damage.