Tired of always seeing hair on the teeth of your brush after combing your hair? Worried that hair breakage is becoming far too common? According to experts, all humans lose approximately 50 to 200 strands of hair a day. But when it gets beyond that or you hear your hair snap whenever you attempt to brush it, you might need to pay more attention – it might be time you do something!
Hair breakage is an indicator that your hair could be excessively dry or lacks proper nourishment. Hence, experts share some practical yet effective tips to combat those signs and bring back vitality into your hair:
1. Use natural hair care products. When hair is exposed to excessive amount of chemical treatments, it can damage the scalp and the hair. This is true for shampoos, conditioners, and hair styling creams. You have to be particularly careful of ingredients such as sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate. On the other hand, products that contain natural oils and essences not only stop the signs of hair breakage but protect it from future damage.
2. Hydrate your hair. A weekly intensive conditioning treatment is a vital step towards maintaining hydration and resilience into your hair. Choose a repair cream that is formulated with moisturising ingredients to mend hair breakage and provide nourishment for every strand.
3. Stop coloring your hair. Chemical from hair color products can contribute to making hair more susceptible to breakage. Refrain from using bleaching or coloring products for few weeks to months because they can roughen up the hair texture.
4. Let your hair loose. When you tie your hair back too tight with an elastic band, it can put major strain on your scalp and hair strands. If possible, let your hair down. You do not want to add more strain to your hair follicles and make them prone to breaking.
5. Minimise heat styling tools. The heat coming from blow dryer or curling irons can be great for achieving glamorous looks from time to time. However, they are also one of the top contributors to hair breakage. Refrain from using heat styling tools on a daily basis – try to give it 2 to 3 days break in between. Doing so will cause a significant improvement in your hair texture over time.
6. Avoid over-manipulation of hair. You have to practice moderation when styling your hair with brush, comb, or any products used for washing it. All of these can lead to lose of natural moisture when done in excess. Every hair strand does not always have to be in place – learn to accept that fact.
7. Give hair enough protection. When you go outside and your hair is exposed to the sun and other environmental elements, you need to wear head gear or other protective gears. Exposure to the sun can cause hair follicles to weaken and be susceptible to breakage. Also, you have to do the same when swimming at the pool or beach.
8. Put on leave-in-conditioner. Aside from conditioner used after washing your hair with shampoo, it is also recommended that you use leave-in-conditioner to retain moisture. This will not only keep your scalp hydrated but also protect the hair strands from damage. You can try wearing a heat cap for 15 minutes after application to allow the moisture to be sealed into the cuticle.
This is your first step to reversing the effects of hair breakage! Make sure to incorporate the above treatments into your hair care routine to keep your strands healthier and stronger.