Hair serum is one of the most lauded products in the hair care industry. Its main purpose is to give shine to hair and also prevent knotting and tangling. At the same time, applying hair serum can provide your hair with a protective layer from the sun or other harsh environmental factors. One other reason why it is quite popular is due to the fact that its effects are long lasting – it can last until your next wash. It is a great product to use for frizzy and dry hair, as well as those damaged by chemical treatments such as colouring, perming, and heat styling.
To enjoy the maximum benefits of a hair serum, you need to understand the proper ways of using it. Here is a list of do’s and dont’s that you need to observe for optimum results:
• Use hair serum as a protective styling product for your hair. Hence, it is important to apply adequate amount prior to using the blow dryer, flat iron, or curling iron. Small measures like this can go a long way in preserving the vitality of your locks.
• Apply hair serum on wet hair. You need to be extra gentle when working with wet hair but it is the state wherein your hair is most receptive to application of styling products. Hence, you will be able to enjoy its styling effects for longer.
• Hair serum is best used to add shine to hair. Due to the amount of styling (mostly with the use of heat), hair can get damaged and overly dry. A good hair serum can restore moisture and lustre back into the hair and also makes hair colour more vibrant.
• Never apply hair serum near the scalp area. It is a common practice when applying hair styling products to massage it onto the scalp. However, hair serum is not the same as shampoo. There are natural oils responsible for caring for your scalp and roots. When you apply hair serum into the scalp, it will cause hair to become increasingly greasy. The ideal way to use hair serum is to apply it onto the hair around the ears and downward. Use a comb to run through your hair and evenly distribute the product.
• The use of hair serum is not recommended when you have fine hair. If you apply hair serum, it will make hair a lot more greasy and flat.
• Never go overboard when applying this hair product. A little can go a long way. A lot of women tend to apply too much because they think it will also add to the effects they’re enjoying with this product. A pearl sized amount should be sufficient – no more, no less.
Do you regularly use hair serum?